Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Head-prefect? Hehe..

Haha it was totally ironic that Daphne exclaimed I was playing the head-prefect role during Shou Wee’s session! Ok I admit I wasn’t being vocal and naughty enough during the micro-teaching sessions. The thing is, there are different types of students in a class. Besides the loud ones, naughty ones, there are the studious ones (which believe me, I wasn’t one), the quiet and shy ones and also the quiet and lost ones. Hehe, I for one, fell into the last category most of the time in secondary school. That was exactly what I was trying to re-enact in class. Physically there but mentally in planet Mars. I was lying on the table, all restless and inattentive. And Shao Wee, having really sharp-eyes, was quick to call me out when she was checking around for understanding. That’s really good because it was teachers like that, that ensures my mind is in class at least 70% of the lesson.
As a student, I consider myself a slow-learner. I catch things and understand concepts slower than my classmates (If you’re wondering how slow, I have friends calling me 28.8 kb because I’m always the last to laugh at jokes or understand something. Ya sad I know =/) and that is why during secondary school, I made it a point to revise at home because I was more comfortable studying at my own pace. So sometimes, when the teacher’s teaching something that I didn’t understand or I think he or she was going too fast, the tendency was my mind would wander off (ya very short attention span I know). It’s embarrassing and is a habit I’m not proud of. The point I’m trying to make here is, based on my experience, I think it’s important as a teacher not to just keep a look out for the naughty ones but make sure that your attention is well-spread across the class. It’s not practical of course to be giving your utmost attention to each individual student. Just make sure that, the quiet and supposedly well-behaved ones are genuinely that because otherwise they may be epitomes of Mas the blur queen. Now that I have the opportunity to teach, I’ll be more aware of the existence of students like me. When I was having my school experience, I made it a point to stress to the students that “It’s ok not to know but it’s not ok not to do anything about it. Don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t understand and please do stop me if I’m going too fast.” It’s more important that students understand your teaching, rather than rushing to complete the syllabus without having really digested and understood the content itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home